Now that we are fully into the fall season, it’s time to start preparing your lawn for the upcoming winter climates. Having been custom home builders in Iowa for over a decade, we are well versed in how to prepare landscape for the harsh winter climates.
Landscaping Tips from Custom Home Builders in Iowa
Here are some of our favorites ideas for preparing your landscape for winter, both during and after your custom home build.
- Remove Fallen Leaves – As we transition from fall to winter, ensure that you remove all leaves from the ground. Leaving leave piles on your lawn could cause fungus or, most likely, kill the grass underneath.
- Take Precautions – In order to prevent crab grass and lawn disease, apply crabgrass preventer and mow your lawn before the first snow. A lawn that is too tall will be prime for disease and help stimulate the growth of crab grass.
- Prune Trees and Shrubs – Pruning is a necessity for ensuring healthy growth during the spring. Once the leaves have turned, indicating that the tree has turned dormant, is your signal to prune. And don’t forget, if you’re going to tackle the job yourself, make sure you cut at a slight angle about ¼ inch from the branch.
- Timely Planting – Entering winter is an excellent time of year to plant rooted materials, like large shrubs and trees, as well as bulbs. Planting this time of year greatly reduces the amount of watering you’ll need to do and often allows the plants time to take deep root before onset of warmer, drier temperatures.
- Design for Year-Around Beauty – When building your home, design your landscape for year-round enjoyment by incorporating evergreen trees and shrubs. As your seasonal plants come and go, the evergreen plants will offer beauty throughout the year. And for non-evergreen trees and shrubs, wrap them in burlap and give them proper coverage to help protect them through the long winter months.
Building a Custom Home
Ensuring that the homes we build are prepared to endure the harsh winter climates is of utter importance to us. Just as with the custom built home itself, we also go to great lengths to ensure the landscaping is both visually appealing, and designed to both provide beauty and endure the cold.
Experience how our attention to detail puts our Iowa custom built homes in a class above all others! Contact us today for an initial consultation and experience the Castle Pointe Homes difference.